Mie Atjeh or mi aceh is a spicy noodle dish, specialty of Atjehnese people from Atjeh region, Indonesia. The thick yellow noodle (similar size to Japanese udon noodle) are served with slices of beef, goat meat or seafood, such as shrimp or crab. They are served in rich, hot and spicy curry-like soup.
Mie Atjeh demonstrate the cultural history of Atjehnese people and foreign influences that formed the Atjeh region and its historic role as major port in the region. The curry-based soup obviously was the influence of neighboring Indian cuisine, while the noodle was Chinese influence.
Mie Atjeh is available in two variations; mie aceh goreng (fried and dry) and mie aceh kuah (soupy). Also two options of ingredients; meat (beef or mutton) or seafood (shrimp or crab).
- 200 grams of yellow noodle [easily found in the market].
- Small fresh shrimps
- 125 grams of beef
- Beansprouts [tauge]
- Cooking oil
- 1.4 teaspoon of Cardamom
- Beef broth
- 8 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 red chilies
- Sweet soy sauce
- Fried emping (crackers made of gnetum gnemon)
- Sliced cucumbers
- Fried ground peanuts
- Pickled onions and peppers
Before we start cooking, we have to set things ready. There are two ways of blending flavours: the traditional way and a practical way. I prefer the former, though it consumes a little bit more energy. But if you prefer things to be more natural, it becomes an exciting process. To do it in the traditional way, we have to crush main flavors: pepper, garlic, turmeric, cardamom, cumin and chili with a mortal & pestle (as opposed to a blender). Add a teaspoon of salt to make the pulverizing easier and faster. Then slice the chives, shallots, garlic and tomatoes.
How to cook
- Heat up oil in a skillet, saute the garlic, shallots, crushed flavor, shrimps until fragrant. Then put in meat, stir it until the meat changes color.
- Put in tomatoes, stir until well blended, put mustard and cabbage, stir.
- Pour the soy bean sauce, stir and reduce the flame. Put in the noodles, bean sprouts, chives, and celery, stir for about one minute, then turn off the flame.
- Move the friend noodle to a wide plain plate, sprinkle fried beans, fried shallots.
- Serve it with separate pickled shallots and sliced cucumber.